- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40-60 minutes
- Oven temp: 375°
- Servings: Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 8-ounce package cracked freekeh (1 cup)
- 3 sweet potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh Laticino kale, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1 12-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 12-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
Scrub the sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle a little olive oil on them. Bake in 375° oven for about 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside. While the potatoes are cooking, pour all ingredients into a large pot on top of the stove over high heat. Stir with a spoon and heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add roasted sweet potatoes. Cover partially and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Check occasionally and give a stir. Continue to cook longer for richer flavor, adding water or more broth if desired.
Options: Sprinkle a little nutritional yeast on top for a “parmesan cheese” flavor without the fat.